MrsFish

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dupont Circle

My husband surprised me at work today, showing up to take me to lunch. As we enjoyed a rare quiet hour of adult conversation, I mentioned that the restaurant I was meeting my friend at tonight was in Dupont Circle. I know he really knows me. I said , "you know what that makes me think of?" He said. "An American President". He was so right. It took me about 20 minutes to get into DC from work in Falls Church. I was going the opposite way of traffic. Once I hit the city proper though it took me another hour to get to the restaurant (less than 5 miles). I will NEVER drive in DC again. Driving into the national mall, the smithsonian section etc is one thing. But the DISTRICT.. no. People were honking at me constantly. A three lane street has cars parked on each side and then the one way street suddenly stops. The one way streets make no sense. It's crowded. But I did think it was cool. If I was single, or at least sans child, it would be fun to live in a CITY, city. walk out of your home and down the street to a myriad of restaurants, cross over to the theatre or the gym. Take the subway to work, etc. Very urban cool. Hip. Center of it happening. Tribal living - created families becuase you can meet your friends at the corner for dinner. The restaurant was also good. Tasty food, trendy atmosphere. Good friends, great conversation. I am glad I did it. But I told my friend - only for you would I drive this mess, and never again.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/08/2006 09:57:00 AM, Blogger Gwen said…

    DUPONT CIRCLE-I can hear Annette Benning saying it right now!!! LOL!!!! I loved that movie too!

    How sweet of your hubby to just show up at your work! That must have made you feel special!

    I'm glad you enjoyed your evening out with friends even if it was a pain to get there! LOL!!

     
  • At 3/08/2006 09:32:00 PM, Blogger Kili @ Live Each Moment said…

    How neat that your husband showed up and suprised you. That is why I'm glad I live in the country, well we still live in a "city" but it's small. And we are moving into a very rural city sometime in teh next few years. We're talking at least having 5 acres of property! Yeah!

     
  • At 3/09/2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Sheila said…

    I love that movie.
    I love those moments with your spouse, when it all makes sense and you know he knows, and time stops for a second.

    I typed "sexond" - hmmm, what could that mean?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby Ticker