MrsFish

Friday, January 27, 2006

Chatting

setting the scene: Emily is laying on the air mattress in the sitting room outside of my bedroom. She is wearing a t shirt and sweats to sleep in. She has the ratty and torn quilt from her crib lovingly cradled in her arms, a teddy bear and a book laying on the bed beside her. I am laying on the other side of the mattress, having just put away "Benjy's Dog House" - tonights bedtime reading selection. Em: Do I have to go to college? Me: Yes, college and graduate school Em: what's graduate school? Me: It is where you get to study the things you are most interested in and hopefully end up with a career you really love and make enough money to live comfortably. Em: McDonalds? Me: No. Em: Why not? Me: Working at McDonalds is hard work that you can barely afford a safe place to live. You go to college so you can work in something like scientist, or veterinarian or teacher (all things she has said she wanted to be when she grew up). Em: I don't want to work. Me: If you don't work, you don't eat. Em: My husband will have lots and lots of money. Me: Oh.. you are going to marry rich? - are you going be home with your babies? Em: No, I am just going to spend the money. Me: You still have to go to college. I don't know if that conversation tells you more about her or me.

10 Comments:

  • At 1/28/2006 12:27:00 AM, Blogger Sheila said…

    Wow - another rebirth of your blog! I like this one even better! Good for you!

    Emily is so great. I love to read your stories about her.

     
  • At 1/28/2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Child of God said…

    Loving this new blog layout.

    I have had several very similar conversations with my six year old. I always tell my Emily when she says she wants to work at McDonald's and Costco that those are good "high school jobs" where you learn important skills like how to show up to work on time, how to obey your supervisor, and how to get along with people you don't like.

    She usually looks at me like, "What could be better than working at McDonalds?"

     
  • At 1/28/2006 01:03:00 PM, Blogger Funkiller said…

    Sounds like conversations I've had with my eight year old.

    By the way, where did you get that cool background? I love it.

    Peace.

     
  • At 1/28/2006 01:15:00 PM, Blogger Gwen said…

    Okay Woman!!! What the heck is up with another new blog template? Don't you realize by now that I don't do change well??? I was just getting used to the other one! There has to be a story behind this I'm sure!!! LOL!!!!! I was digging the old layout with the flower and your name! This one is nice too!

     
  • At 1/28/2006 02:38:00 PM, Blogger Kili @ Live Each Moment said…

    I like the conversation. Very cute.
    Kristina

     
  • At 1/28/2006 03:18:00 PM, Blogger romy said…

    hey nice layout ! it's very clean and smart, easy to read.

    and ... good for you on the college conversation. :)

     
  • At 1/29/2006 01:08:00 PM, Blogger MomToJandE said…

    LOL - I love that you are already encouraging grad school!

     
  • At 1/29/2006 02:00:00 PM, Blogger Gwen said…

    I want my kids to go to college and I guess I should tell them they have to but I don't. I always tell them it would be great for them if they did. I guess I have just always been of the mindset that college is not for everyone. We need the non-college jobs filled too. I usually tell my kids as long as they do something that is respectable and and can earn them enough to care for their family that is what is required.

     
  • At 1/29/2006 03:56:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    My hubby and I have been having this conversation with my 12 year old for years. She gets it now. She can repeat the whole conversation without our involvement! It's too funny.

    What a cutie your little Emily is. And so smart!

     
  • At 1/29/2006 05:05:00 PM, Blogger Different River said…

    Serious comment: How is a six-year-old supposed to know that people who work at McDonald's get paid less than scientists, veterinarians, or teachers? I mean, how is she supposed to know unless you tell her explicitly? For all you know, she might think they get to keep all the money that goes in the cash register, not knowing that has to be used to pay for the building, the food, the cooks, the trucks to bring the food to the store ... not to mention the stockholders. They don't teach these things in kindergarten or first grade, so if you want your six-year-old to know these things, you have to explain them! (Most six-year-olds can understand this stuff, even if a few of my middle and high school teachers couldn't.)

    Not-so-serious comment: Remember the definitions:

    1) A successful man is one who earns more money than his wife can spend.

    2) A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

    ;-)

    (Based on those definitions, my wife and I are both miserable failures...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby Ticker