MrsFish

Monday, January 02, 2006

Books Read and Recommended 2005

Along with the 2005 theme of things discontinued or suspended, sometime after we arrived in Virginia, I stopped recording the books I was reading. I don't know why. I regret that I did. I wasn't aware of it for the first few missed, but when I realized it, I could have gone back and updated and chose not to. At that point I chose not to continue. Today, I decided I would continue for 2006. I have a small regret that I don't have a complete list for 2005. But I also don't think I read anything earthshattering in the last 4-5 months either. I read the newest installments in the Jan Karon Mitford series and the Ender series by Orson Scott Card. I read a trilogy of Christian romance novels that I can't remember the author but was called, A Thorn in My Heart, something, and Whence Came a Prince. Those came recommended from a blog I was reading. The new Harry Potter. All of that was enjoyable, but not a here - you have to read these recommendation quality. So, from what I did read, record and can recommend... here are my top 5 of 2005 1. Garlic and Saphires by Ruth Reichel 2. Regeneration by Pat Barker (especially if you like History) 3. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri 4. The Brick Lane by Monica Ali (these two are especially good back to back)* 5. My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey * I am finding I enjoy Indian and Indian-American literature a great deal. A Fine Balance and Midnight's Children remain on my top reads of all time. While the namesake and bricklane are not as good as those two, the 'feel' is the same.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/02/2006 10:37:00 PM, Blogger samantha said…

    In the case of Indian literature, you might enjoy V.S. Naipul's "A Bend in the River," which is about an Indian man who has to move to Africa. It won the Nobel Prize a few years ago.

     
  • At 1/04/2006 12:52:00 PM, Blogger mrsfish said…

    I read "A House for Mr. Biswas" by Naipul and some critiques of his other pieces. It was more of a struggle for me. His work had the same denseness of language, but the bleakness of his writing put a damper on the 'rich' sense of the surroundings. I didn't smell the smells, or want to touch the things he described. I was more like cringing from his descriptions. I guess that indicates how effective he was, considering the story. But I just didn't enjoy his particular perspective (for which he has been both criticized and commended in its uniqueness and honesty).

    Always glad to discuss books and receive recommendations though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby Ticker